The estimated child deaths averted through services delivered in 2014.
The estimated unsafe abortions prevented in 2014.
The estimated maternal deaths prevented in 2014.
Clients are using family planning provided by MSK in 2014, mostly in poor rural areas with little access to services and information.
Marie Stopes Kenya: One of Kenya’s largest and most specialized sexual and reproductive health and family planning organization
What do we do in Kenya?
Since 1985 Marie Stopes Kenya (MSK) has prided itself in providing a wide range of high quality, affordable and client- centered reproductive services to men, women and young people in collaboration with the Government of Kenya.
Currently MSK employs a total of 269 employees who provide both direct services and support services within the country program.
Kenya Context at a glance
• Kenya’s progress on the MDGs has been slow on maternal and child health. Current progress suggests that Kenya is not on track to meet its health-related MDG commitments.
• The contraceptive prevalence rate in Kenya is 46% and there is a 25% unmet need for family planning.
• The average age at first pregnancy is 16.8 years and
18% of teenagers have begun child bearing.
• Only 44% women access a skilled attendant at delivery and an estimated 21 women die each day from preventable causes while giving birth.
• Poverty levels remain high, and are estimated at 46%, with large levels of inequality found between urban and rural populations and within and between provinces.
How we deliver services
The programme works through different service delivery channels to ensure that we are able to reach those most in need:
• 23 clinics continue to be the foundation of the MSK programme.
• 14 mobile clinical outreach teams offer family planning services in over 600 private and public sites across Kenya, reaching the most remote communities and underserved populations in the country.
• MSI’s oldest social franchise network Amua with 406 network members covering all regions of the country including arid and semi-arid lands.
• Through these channels MSK works to provide a full range of family planning services, from short to long- acting and permanent methods. We also offer our clients HIV voluntary counseling and testing and cervical cancer services.
Our donors include:
- Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade DFID
- European Commission
- Kreditanstalt für Wiederaufbau (KfW)
- The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
- The David and Lucile Packard Foundation
- Private Foundations